Haghartsin Monastery, Dilijan, Armenia
Haghartsin - Armenian monastery located in the Tavush region in 18 km from Dilijan city, in a wooded valley of Ijevan ridge. The Monastery was built in the X-XIII centuries, mostly under the auspices of the dynasty Bagratuni.
Church of St. Gregory, built in XI century, is the oldest building of the complex. The main monastery church of St. Mary (Astvatsatsin) was built in 1281. In XII-XIII cc. a ghavit (narthex) was added to the church. On the territory of the Monastery there is a refectory built in 1248. There were royal tombs of Bagratuni family, only tombstones presently are preserved with the names of kings Ghagik and Smbat. Near to refectory the remains of kitchen are preserved, the remains of narthex are near the Astvatsatsin cathedral. Ob the territory of the complex there are several khachkars.
Goshavank Monastery, Dilijan, Armenia
Goshavank monastery is situated on the bank of the river Getik. In 1188 Goshavank was erected on the place of the ancient monastery Getik destroyed by an earthquake. The founder of the monastery is an outstanding public figure, theologian and priest Gosh; the monastery was named after the priest Mkhitar Gosh.
The ensemble of Monastery includes the Church of St. Astvatsatsin (1196), the Church of St. Gregory (1231), the Church of St. Gregory the Illuminator (1241), library with a bell tower (1291), the school building, the chapel and the Gallery (XIII century). The monastery is also known Goshavank khachkars decorated sophisticated carved patterns.
Dzhuhtak Monastery, Dilijan, Armenia
Dzhuhtak monastery is located 3 km north-west of Dilijan on a wooded hillside, dated to the XII-XIII centuries. The monastery consists of two churches, Church of Surb Astavatsatsin built in 1201 by type of dome halls, and Church of St. Gregory refers to the same type, its dome was not preserved. Both churches were built of light yellow felsite.
Matosavank is located not far from Dilijan, on the other side of the gorge opposite to Dzhuhtakvank monastery, at a distance of 3.5 km to the west of Dilijan. Matosavank was built in 1205 and consists of church, porch, and library that are located close to each other. The church is constructed of rough-cut stones and has a small arched building. There is an inscription on the foundation of the church carved on the main front stone. On both sides of the entrance were set khachkars.
The southern side of the church is adjoined a library, a small room with a vaulted surface. On the east wall there is a separate entrance. On the western part of the church there is the narthex. The walls of the narthex were built of the roughly hewn stones that are inside plastered. Several tombstones were immured inside the floor of narthex, and the room is illuminated by a single window in the west wall.